Wednesday, January 17, 2007

To the makers of that idiotic American Idol show...

I like to watch House on Fox. It is one of two televisions shows I enjoy, the other being Battlestar. However, I do not have cable. I do not watch enough TV for it to matter. I turned on to watch House on Tuesday and, what's that, oh it was a two-hour Idol show. It has sunk to new lows. It actually carries on for two hours, less commercials of course, to follow and showcase person after person after person after bloody FREAK that sounds like a talentless version of, oh, someone talentless. I do not honestly believe that anyone enjoys the "journey" anymore to the next American idol. It was horrifying. The people were horrifying, even I know that and I'm, well, talentless. But at least I'm not horrifying. Ah, yes, but lest I forget people do not care how they get their 15-minutes of fame. I personally do, I have several thoughts one of which is to...oh, you thought I would tell you my deepest secrets and fantasies. Nope.

It is certainly not possible for the judges to watch every single person. They are probably screened prior to seeing the not-so-fab three and, of course, to make it juicy they let the FREAKS slip through for the entertainment value, right? Because then, talentless bloggers and those of us who find ourselves "above all this nonsense" can sit around and bash it. Honestly, it has been some ungodly number of seasons and I just do not think any part of this nation should have to stomach it. So, please, put back the programming that is on when Idol is not because there are enough talentless dopes in Hollywood to entertain me, I do not need a whole slew of singing ones, and fugly to boot. For the love of Hannah, deliver us from this evil!

Oh, and a little piece of geography people, America is the continent, actually there are two -North and South. Canadians and Mexicans are Americans too, technically. So, I think perhaps Idol needs to travel North or South, lord knows South has some better looking people and North probably has more talent - what else is there to do with all that snow but sing around the hearth fire?

Just a little rant on some weirdly "popular" US culture. Alas, there is so much to love, too. I decided I needed to think of 5; so 5 reasons to love our culture:

(1) Bluegrass and jazz (okay yeah its infused with that other stuff, but its still local);
(2) Ethnic food (or technically choice, Chinese food everyday was tough on me);
(3) Sports (yeah, they are overpaid, but who doesn't love a great game of US football or basketball, I will skip the baseball, however);
(4) uuuhhhhh...this is getting harder...books...the classic "American" novel, who doesn't love Mark Twain and Harper Lee, lots of good books out there...ookkayy, so;
(5) Crap. I can not be this jaded and hateful of our great nation...Do national parks count? Help me out here, I must be forgetting something...laissez-faire?

Mom teaches a cultural geography class and has some list called the seven elements of culture. Maybe we should ask her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home