Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Decadence



I spent a few days before having to go back to work at a spa on the coast of California. If you have ever driven the coast between Santa Barbara and the northern state border, you know how stunning it it. It was that and I had perfect weather. When I arrived Monday afternoon, I took a walk down to the beach, then lazed about until dinnertime. And after dinner, lazed around some more. Slothful.

Tuesday, I had a massage that was long since overdue. Then, to completely counteract the efforts of the masseuse, I rode my bike. Much further than I had planned. Despite running (although I haven't kept up with it these past weeks due to my getting sick) I am in no shape for biking. I used to bike across the Golden Gate and down into Marin and think nothing of it, but that was another time. I haven't ridden more than 8 miles on a bike in two or three years. Its easy to forget how horribly painful being in the saddle for two and a half hours can be. I remember being used to it and could ride half the day, now its just utterly uncomfortable. Another thing I learned on my ride is that you have to be a complete moron to think riding along Hwy 1 is a fun experience. Its completely terrifying and not at all enjoyable. I was smart to have taken the back roads on the way there, but thought the Hwy ride would be shorter on the way back. No thanks. If you want to pretend that riding Hwy 1 is thrilling and feel hard-core about it, hats off to you. But you're a blimey idiot. Despite all that, I immensely enjoyed my ride through the valley and loved being out in nature with all the creature comforts.

There was something quite decadent about being there in the middle of the week with very few other visitors. The hot tub was empty, I had two massages, the second of which was divine. I had two great dinners. My dearest friend came and joined me for the second night and we enjoyed good food, breathtaking scenery, the hot tub and good conversation.

I feel plenty relaxed and ready to begin working. Now, if I just didn't have to go back to my job. Alas. (oh, and happy birthday to me!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home