Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Women v. Men: In sickness


I noticed a trend a while back and I have slowly been confirming my suspicions. I am reading the second of the Sweet Potato Queens - amusing, but she's correct in her self assessment as not being a "real" author. Its a sort of blog in book form. I chuckle here and there, but when I got to the part about men v. women when they are sick, I just about died with laughter. BT and I were talking the other day about this and how we just couldn't understand why men were such freakin' babies when they get sick. (Granted, my father has NEVER complained when he was sick and both parents pretty much sent you to school unless you couldn't walk...) However, men I date (and in her case marry) are insoportable when it comes to a little sickness. To quote Conner-Browne "...and everyone can go up in a puff of smoke for all I care-just deeeliver me from a man with a fever." Amen. And so true. When I get sick, I want the whole world to just leave me alone. Slide some buttered bread and water and a box of tissues under the door, but whatever you do, DO NOT COME IN HERE! For most of my adolescence and adult life, I get these annoying hanger-on colds (which I am finding are allergies or sinuses) that last for weeks. The few times I get really knocked out - pneumonia or the flu - I want nothing and no one near me. And just the thought of someone catering to my nasty, sticky, mange of a self, with breathe that would skin a cat, was down-right horrifying. But with men, its like they are helpless. They become whiny and downright unbearable. My new solution for this problem: "Darling, I left you a pitcher of juice/water, and some sandwiches in the fridge, going to the spa, keep hydrated and warm and sleep, back tonight, kiss-kiss, TA-TA!" There will be none of that.

(What?!? That's how they know you love them, you say?!? They want to be cared for like mommy, you say?!? What in the world do you know?!? I didn't sign up to be a grown man's mommy, get over it!)

What can I say, I am just not the nurturing kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home