Thursday, August 12, 2010

Homemade goodness

I spent another day at the farm. I picked berries, rolled hoses, cleaned the chicken coops, collected eggs and gained further insight into the goings on and challenges of it. It is definitely a 24-7 job.

A while ago BT was relating a story about a high school friend. The friend came to the realization that whenever times were tough she always returned to her two passions and eventually turned them into a business. It made me reflect on what I always turn to when times are difficult. It was a good exercise and helped me gain clarity and start moving in a more positive direction. Up until that point, I had been stuck. I thought quitting my job would be that move, but I realize that it was only a start. I had to go through the process of quitting and to a certain extent grieve that (a) I had "quit" something and all the negativity associated with that sense of failure; (b) I had built eight years of experience and couldn't see myself as anything else - I had knowledge, I had experience, others looked to me for advice or ideas; and (c) I had been unhappy for awhile and didn't know what made me happy. When I was able to come to terms with that and learn to accept, then I was closer to being able to move on and figure out what work would make me happy. I had to get rid of the voices that were telling me something was wrong with me or I was a failure or that I had made a huge mistake. Maybe I have made a huge mistake, but if I don't do this I would never know, so that's the risk.

So I left the farm with a smile on my face and some extra vegetables. Then I spent the evening making a beautiful vegetable casserole with my bounty and homemade mozzarella from the night before. That's one thing that makes me happy...

1 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger The Enforcer said...

"I had to get rid of the voices that were telling me something was wrong with me or I was a failure or that I had made a huge mistake. Maybe I have made a huge mistake, but if I don't do this I would never know, so that's the risk."

I know EXACTLY what you mean. However things work out, doing this will bring you closer to what you are meant to do. At least that's what I keep telling myself!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home