Saturday, April 10, 2010

How do they sleep at night?

You read the estimates, you look at the suggested allocations, you create spreadsheets and run the numbers and at the end of the day its just daunting. I have assessed more than 10 different venues. I have looked at four. It is just astounding. There is a reason people opt not to do this affair. There is a reason city hall is a nice thought. After going to one of the premier wedding venues this morning, I just about died. It was just to look, we really did think it would fit in our budget. $23K was the ceremony and reception alone. That doesn't include decorations, music, and the myriad of other stuff required for a wedding. JE and I would like to have a nice party with friends and family - both of which are very important to us. We are also pretty frugal people. We make our food nine out of ten times, we walk places as opposed to driving whenever possible. We reduce, reuse, recycle. We plant our own food. We're not die hard eco-warriors or anything like that, but we are conscious of our consumption and waste and try to be mindful. We both like the outdoors, so we are thinking we'd like something that is indoor-outdoor. The venue we visited this morning completely wore us out. We both just felt numb, both cost-wise and how little it really fit into our personalities. After a not very good lunch we decided to check out one more spot that was a find by my sister-in-law. Simply put, we adored it. It is a botanical garden associated with the University. Its low-key, but could be lovely and elegant. We would be supporting something we both care about. Its not going to break the bank. Its up on the hill and if you go far enough into the garden you get some pretty spectacular views.

I think, quite honestly, after a few more just to see its not-also-a-good-pick, that I may get to quit looking. And after only a week, how delightful. I have found this process a little stressful to be honest. I will be glad when the date is set in stone and the venue is secured. I won't really be able to focus on this too much after Sunday. Its back to school, testing is around the bend, and eventually I will have to start packing up my classroom for my third move (not counting when I first moved in) in three years. Do you think they are trying to tell me something?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home