Monday, February 15, 2010

In failure, success

I find myself back at square one. I spent a long time figuring out that my current job, and perhaps even career, is not right for me. Somehow, I seemed to think that I could quickly, and even easily, find something that is right. I have never really gone about this in a very methodical way. A good friend once asked me whether I would truly like teaching or just thought I would because I knew some people who had good experiences. I think that for a long time I didn't want him to be right. A few months back I came to that realization that when people asked me about how I felt about my job, the response did not reflect a true love for my profession as it should. I had come to a point where I was in more of a "what else can I do" situation, rather than "I can't imagine doing anything else" situation. Some tell me I am crazy to leave my job in June, with nothing lined up. That is not entirely the case. I have something lined up. I have a plan to determine a better path for me. In the meantime, I will volunteer with organizations that might align my path, I will substitute teach to cover the bills, and perhaps get a weekend job at a bookstore or local grocery store to fill in the gaps.

Perhaps it is crazy, no one leaves a good job in this down economy. That's just it, if I don't leave now another year, two, maybe three will go by and I just further postpone the necessary. This is known: I need to find my path and for too long I have been following the paths of others because I thought this was how it was done. The problem with this is that I am not them. I am me. I have followed the safe path and now its time to take a risk and find the right path. Of course its not easy, but I won't starve. Its not as if I will never get another job. I can do things in the meantime to make money to cover my bills. I may be scared to death, but I also feel a strange peace in making this decision. It is right.

1 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger [No Nickname] said...

Yay!

-bt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home