Monday, August 04, 2008

26.2

Finished. I feel surprisingly good today. Should I feel this good? Does this mean I could've gone faster? See, now here's the problem. I told BT, yeah, maybe someday I'll do this marathon thing. I like half marathons. It doesn't require quite so much discipline or time commitment. Then I just decided it was time. I selected the SF marathon as my goal. Training in the summer is a more reasonable feat for me because the school year gets so hectic. I was lucky enough to have a willing training partner. The problem is now that I have done it, I feel great. Its a pretty respectable accomplishment. Now, I keep wondering, could I have gone faster? I can move respectably today and have no pain that is telling me I performed past my fitness level. Its probably like giving birth, otherwise people wouldn't do either more than once. Does it mean I'll do another? Well, that has yet to be determined.

BT's constant support and encouragement (and, no doubt, running more slowly for me) were great. Not only during the race, but also during the training runs. She was always impressed with us, even when I felt less than impressed with me.

The nagging neck and shoulder pain from previous chronic pain issues that stayed from mile 9 on were not so wonderful. They remain part of the reason for my thinking, could I go faster? (Do I really want to given how great I feel today?!?) I moved my classroom last week, which flared the neck and shoulder pain. Not such a great idea. If there is a next time, it will not involve any heavy lifting and will involve some pre-race massage sessions.

My parents showed up. How cool is that?!? In typical E family fashion, they met us at the end of the bridge, mile 8, then in the park, mile 13, then on the return through the park, mile 17 and finally at the finish. Now that is support!

My feet hurt quite a bit. Is that normal? They are in reasonable shape today, but yesterday was rough gimping around.

Thoughts of different people got me through the tough miles. I channeled mom, dad, brother, JE, other friends pushing me with their words and silly sayings.

BT's hubby and JE met us at the finish line. What good boys! We got hugs and kisses for being such champion ladies.

Then we cleaned up and went to a place called Osha in Embarcadero for yummy Thai food. I'm not sure how else I would spend a Sunday - exercise, accomplishment, friends, family, good food, laughter and a fairly good night of sleep. Not bad, not bad indeed.

...

When do we start training again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home