Monday, October 09, 2006

Race Day


This weekend I ran the Bizz Johnson half marathon in Susanville. It was a gorgeous fall day, although slightly chilly, and the trail crosses a series of bridges and passes through tunnels along the Susan river, giving spectacular views of golden and red color and the gently rolling river.

My parents came as well. It felt like high school again with them cheering me on at the half way point and then again at the finish line. It was pretty cool. Running through the dark tunnels was a little sureal, but overall it was a great race on a crisp, golden fall day.

The night before we shared in the glory of the Bears defeating Oregon. Let's recap. Final score: 45-24. DeSean Jackson and Justin Forsett get a huge CAL BEARS GREAT! And Nate Longshore, well isn't he just a welcome treat. But does he really send Jessica Simpson two tickets to every game? Come on, I'm not convinced she deserves an honorary fan spot. I mean, isn't she from Texas?!?

As a Cal fan, there are a lot of ups and downs, and well, let's just hope this season continues to go up, up. I can not actually mentally log any typical, smack-your-forehead, Bear errors. Was I dreaming?!? Perhaps the only missed play of the game was the interception in the Cal end zone, other than that, pretty clean game. Yeah!

I also took today off and after having dinner with a friend last night, drove toward home, stopping to meet CT for lunch. It was so pleasant. We went for a meandering walk, ate a lot of Mexican food, then chatted some more. I hadn't realized how much I needed a mental health day. The race left lots of time for reflection, had some great family and friend time and now I feel ready to face the calvary. Next week marks conferences with parents. They are usually pretty painless, but there are always one or two that prove slightly difficult. I look forward to a breezy week of walks, yoga, climbing and oh, that other thing called work. But with a clearer mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home