Sunday, August 23, 2009

Last Week

All done and said, I had a surprisingly good last week of summer. Despite the unfortunate situation I find myself in at school, I had a lot of good social events that softened the blow. I also think that the decision that this would be my last year (and I will continue to look for jobs all year long that fit into what I hope to do next,) has helped considerably. There is nothing more that can be done, so don't do it. I arrived to a new classroom sans furniture. It is a shell of a room - no whiteboards, no bookshelves, no cabinets, no counters, no sink, just boxes of my stuff. So there it sits, still in boxes. Boxes reminding me of how temporary this will be. In nine months time or sooner, I will no longer be there. How strange. I fought so long with this decision because I thought I was giving up. I had not made it work because I had not learned to let go. This is something I am working on.

Last weekend I went camping in Pinnacles National Monument. A completely worthwhile trip for all Californians. It has the coolest caves I have ever seen. I am a bit of a bat dork as well and was really hoping to see some - no such luck. On Tuesday we went down to the local amusement place and enjoyed a beer and watching people on the carousel. Wednesday night we played softball. Thursday I caught up with friends I had not seen in a while at a barbecue. We laughed, reminisced, were silly, ate way too much heirloom tomato salad and meat, and fell into comfortable patterns of familiarity. Friday, JE and I went to a local sushi boat restaurant and again stuffed ourselves silly. It was kind of like CSA for sushi, you pick something random from the boat and don't quite know what you will get. I always have to try the hamachi because that's my gauge as to the quality. This place rated high - fresh, reasonably priced (as sushi goes), and fun atmosphere. Yesterday I spent the day with my two wonderful girlfriends - one was visiting from New York, her new home. We took a picnic to one of the local wineries where we enjoyed a bottle, the beautiful setting, the sun, more heirloom tomato salad, several tastings, an offering of chocolate birthday cake from another group at the winery and good conversation. After they left, I met up with some other friends and JE who were out celebrating a birthday. We drank, danced, laughed and eventually called it. It was a good end to a summer of insecurity and indecision. It was much needed reminder of the things that are important in life and to me. The memories of my last week will be my pleasant reminders during those first grueling weeks of school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home