Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Humble Pie

I have run half marathons, a full marathon, thousands of miles during training. I used to swim miles and miles. I do yoga. I used to bike miles and miles. I've climbed at climbing gyms and outdoors. All of those things are easy to do and learn by comparison. I had never played 18 holes of golf until yesterday and it was humbling. I admit, I sprained my ankle and have been walking and doing yoga lately, so I am a bit out of shape, but I ache in places I didn't know I had muscles. Not horribly bad, but man, 18 holes was a lot more tiring than I ever thought. Technically I didn't even play all 18, I probably played through 12 to 14 of them. So here's to the Tiger Woods and Anika Sorensens out there, your sport requires stamina and strength that I had not imagined. I even thought I might be able to walk the course, because I run distances - right??? We took a cart and I was sure glad we did. Mind you, I take my hat off for the ability needed to play this totally frustrating game. A good golfer has talent. I never really considered that it was that physically challenging however, so I will now have my humble pie. A la mode if you please.

1 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Blogger The Enforcer said...

Tiger Woods and Annika Sorenstam, as well as most professional golfers, have this wondrous thing that allows them to make it around 18 holes without having to be physically taxed...

it's called a caddy. ;)

You're not the first on to feel less than awesome after walking a course. I've been there too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home