Sunday, September 07, 2008

Acceptance

I got nailed with a horrible sore throat Friday. I spent yesterday resting and today I feel considerably better. I know what this means. I tend to get sick when my stress levels are rising. My body has always been very good about indicating when I need to slow down. Or at least accept things as they are and move on. It radiates pain in my shoulder and neck. I get sick with allergies or colds. Right now, my eye is twitching. Minor annoying stuff, stuff that again and again or all at once is a drag.

I had a realization. I have a lot of work to do this year. That much I have accepted. What I hadn't accepted was that it is not my responsibility to support a teacher who does not have the skills required to do this job. I had reservations when HM interviewed. I felt that his appearance and demeanor was sloppy and lazy. I did not get the impression of a knowledgeable, put together individual. I was told it was an "informal interview" so his appearance didn't matter so much. Bull. So you wear jeans and a button down to an informal interview, fine, but don't slouch, don't be lazy in your answer - sound like you know what you are doing. I was hoping my first impression was dead wrong.

A week and a half into school HM has demonstrated that they know very little about doing their job. Basic stuff is lacking. The classroom is a dump. The students papers and trash is left on the floor at the end of the day. Materials are not well organized and the class looks cluttered and askew. That same sloppy appearance I saw in that "informal interview" has translated into a messy classroom and a helter-skelter approach to teaching. Give the person a chance. Of course, I consistently adjust my expectations, and adjust the way I deal with and assist this person. But now I have to accept. I have to accept that this person lacks skills that I am not able to provide. I have enough to do on my own.

As Bryan Kest says "Accept the final posture." Yeah, this acceptance thing is hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home