Thursday, August 28, 2008

2 down, 178 to go

Usually the first day is exciting, patient, frantic, quiet and gone in a blink. It was all of those things, in a way, but it was also completely easy. Having the same students makes a world of difference. Its like picking up where I left off some odd weeks ago. I had a spastic moment today when the challenge of juggling the two math curriculum became very apparent. My new partner seems completely haggard. I haven't quite figured out if this is his general appearance or if he really is. I don't want to step in too much, but I had to today when some students took advantage of him, lied to me, and then refused to do what I had asked. I made it abundantly clear that this sort of thing would not fly. I guess you could consider me strict. I demand a lot. I try to maintain a respectful firmness. I'm far from the best and far from perfect. I do a lot of good stuff, but I tend to loose it a lot too. Last year there was that one student. I didn't write much during the year because he pretty much took up all my time. This year I aim to set limits, both for myself, with my colleagues, and within the classroom. Some things I just need to let go of. I don't always let go because I get emotional and I am passionate. This year is an effort toward that goal.

I wasn't sure before, but I am sort of excited for our move. I am looking forward to using a washer and dryer whenever I want and not having to worry about having enough quarters. I am looking forward to having a patio with great big windows that let in lots of light. It will be an interesting change. I like routine. I ran once this week and already I can feel that itch. Today's frustrations are very much related to the no exercise. I like being back on a better diet, although at the moment I have a twelve minute lunch. We have a new (old) system at school where the children punch a number into a machine that has probably been around since the 60s or 70s and we are the very last group to go through the cafeteria. It took 25 minutes to get all my students through the cafeteria line. What a nightmare! I may as well bring my lunch to the cafeteria and eat with the students. There's no time to do anything else. By the time I heated and inhaled my food, and then went to the bathroom, it was time to go get my students from recess. I think next week I will just bring portable food, like yogurt, nuts and fruit and eat it while I wait with the students. You would think we would get some fancy new machine that takes only a few seconds. This takes about one minute per student. This should be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home