Monday, July 30, 2007

Math is hard, let's go shopping

I just completed 40 hours of math training. Its sort of the typical gig. I have the 20% rule. I get about 20% useful information - which in the course of 5 days is one day. Not bad. See, math is easy 1/5th is 20%. Got it.

Friday night I made a chicken salad with dijon (delicious) dressing. I found this champagne shallot mustard at my local grocery store and it makes for really good dressing. I actually did not have enough so I also added some of the dijon with the little mustard seeds in it - I have not idea what they are called. Seeds? Then JP and I watched 300. A bunch of over-muscled men shouting a lot, but not a bad story. I sort of stopped watching movies that are depressing or require too much thinking. After the film, we had a discussion and I said I do not really have an appreciation for good film. I am of the opinion that a lot of film today is easy to make because of the ability to sensationalize with high-tech. I do enjoy movies, but I think I often do not appreciate them the way I appreciate books.

Saturday I looked at an apartment in a downtown area and I really liked it, but again, it was in the price range that would really stretch me and wouldn't allow me to save any money. I live in a really cheap place and its really beautiful here. I can walk everyday to the market - less than 2 blocks from my house. Its pretty ideal. The new place was in a great neighborhood and when I do move in 6 months to a year I know that's the neighborhood where I want to find a place. At least that sort of helps. I can keep looking in just that area and when other really great places do come up, I'll have an idea of the value. There will be more places like this and the time v. money issue will be resolved eventually. But as of now, as I said before, I am committed to trying the commute for four months.

It was a good day. Very productive. For dinner last night, I made a Vietnamese beef noodle salad. I did not add bean sprouts because I can not stand them. It was really good. Although, I think I might use a different type of meat cut. The flank steak needed to be cut more thinly and I do not really have a knife for that, so perhaps a skirt steak. It was about the same price anyway.

Today was sort of lazy. I had every intention of going for my long run, but then decided to postpone it until tomorrow. BT and I ran 6 yesterday and lately I have not been feeling the run everyday thing, every other day is all I can motivate to do. JP and I have a date this afternoon and we are both hoping to sort of forget about all the stuff we have to do and relax for a bit. We both needed to save money and so dinners out and that sort of thing have been non-existent. Its sort of a nerd date because of where we are going, but it works for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home