Friday, July 27, 2007

Reactions

Last night I attended a BBQ and sort of floated my thoughts about commuting. It was sort of amazing the reaction that idea created. People either gave me the "Hmm, yeah, I can see your dilemma..." or "Oh my GOD! You do NOT want to do that." Obviously the later have very strong reactions about commuting (probably not totally unlike my own.) Its a quality of life vs. money thing, ultimately. As I was driving home, however, I sort of got annoyed about the later reaction. I am one person looking for a studio or one bedroom. I can not afford to live in a house. Why not a find a roommate? Sure, thought about it. But I am sort of getting too old for that. The roommate could not have pets as I am uncomfortably allergic and the roommate would pretty much have to be okay with overnight guests. If I were to apply to their previously paid for apartment, I do not have those luxuries. I can not afford to put down upwards of $3-4000 for a place and then advertise for a roommate. Many of the BBQ attendees have high paying jobs, own their own homes and well, at this point in their lives do not have to look at places such as I have looked. They have not gone on line to see apartments (1 bd) for which you almost qualify for maximum income restrictions, but not quite. How does that make you feel? So, you really don't understand. And frankly, its not a big deal, but I have to figure it out and y'all with your strong opinions aren't helping. If I stay here and save money, ultimately making some quality of life sacrifices and adding extra pollution to the air (well aware, thanks) I might, just might, get that much closer to owning something, or at least that much closer to possibly having a roomie that could share the expense. (Not that that is my ultimate goal in love. Sort of makes me sound trite, doesn't it?)

On another note, I did see a potentially cute apartment in an old victorian - much more up my alley - in a historic part of town. Its very much in my price range and is actually a one bedroom. It has hardwood floors, which is pretty key for the allergy thing. I will go take a look tomorrow and then be in a better place to make a decision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home