Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy VD Day!

Venereal Disease Day, I mean, Valentine's Day. Okay, I admit it, I love getting cards from my mom, a nice little reminder that she's thinking about me, but it does not necessarily have to be on February 14th. She sent me a spring card last year with a little chick and a daffodil on its head. It was pretty darn cute and made me giggle.

I am not some bitter singleton that detests Valentine's Day because I am all alone, yeah boo-hoo. I could really care less about being single. It is quite a desirable state most days. Lucky_girl sent me a card too, see how loved I am?

No, its the same reason you all get tired of having cARp stuffed down your throat and thrust in your face as soon as the previous holiday has ended, we cease to honor the "holiday's" true nature. We seem to have forgotten the point. Regardless of whether, like my brother, you believe U.S. holidays are dumb, many of them are rooted in traditions of other nations. Despite your religious beliefs, there seems to be a pretty basic principle about treating your fellow human being with some dignity and respect.

Rid yourselves of the chains of mylar balloons and little bears that say "I love you." Rid yourselves of the 1,000 extra calories you probably do not need anyway. Rid yourselves of tacky Pokemon cards and twelve varieties of Hershey's Kisses. I hereby empower you to spread love and goodness as a decent, wonderful human being:

(1) Help a neighbor;
(2) Stop and smell the roses and pick up some trash while you're at it;
(4) Smile;
(5) Write a nice note to someone and mail it in the real mail;
(6) Volunteer to help a child read;
(7) Spend time with your kids;
(8) Massage someones' feet;
(9) Give the benefit of the doubt;
(10) Love completely because we won't be here forever.

As a teacher, I did not do my job today to impart some of this to my students. I have borderline bronchitis and feel like cARp. I allowed them to partake in the commercial side of the holiday without adding the important things like: inclusion and friendship. My voice is like Lauren Bacall and my head feels like its swabbed in cotton candy. We can not always be on, try as I might.

As to my family and friends, you are loved by me, everyday, this day and the other 364 days. I think about you always - when I run, as I teach, in the car, in the store, when the day truly stinks or when its really great - you are the people who get me through my days. I do not need today to say how special you are to me. (Touche, I used it anyway.)

3 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger lucky_girl said...

Kudos, I totally agree with you. and i'm glad you got the card in time!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well said. I love you too sis. And I don't think all holidays are dumb, just the relentless commercialization that makes everyone run around like fat lemmings. What you said is right on.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

And I as well. I think always of all of you, and every time I visit with my sister, I wonder how it is that I got the great kids, the best husband, and the good hair. Must have done something right in my last life!
Speaking of which, I have a student who is Hindu and he has been coming to see me on nutrition break and slowly is piecing together the story of his last life. Fascinating stuff.
My love to you, my love to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home