Monday, July 24, 2006

The Count Down

We are nearing the end of our teaching time. There is only one full day of teaching left and then we have a carnival and on Friday the final performance. While I have entertained thoughts of returning here (to China) someday to teach and also learn Mandarin, I am quite ready to be done with teaching. My attitude has helped make it easy, but I would certainly do things much differently if I were to teach for an extended period of time. While I tolerate a certain level of chaos, noise and "misbehavior" that is probably more than my peers, I think for a longer period of time, more strictness and control would be required for my sanity.

Last night after picking up some things for the carnival and some gifts, I went into the hotel dining room and it was empty. I ordered rice and eggplant, because I can only order about 3 things in Chinese. One of the waitresses came up to me while I was waiting for my food and wanted to talk to me in Chinese. I hated that I couldn't communicate with her. She brought over a piece of paper and wrote several questions in English and we spoke very broken English for a bit and she attempted to teach me some Chinese. I remember none of it this morning, but feel like if I were to stay here longer and if I had more background (some lessons perhaps) I could probably at the very least learn survival Mandarin. I am quite interested to see if my local community college offers classes since I am finally at the point that I might actually add some new hobbies in my life.

This morning it was raining and so my walking/running buddy and I walked up and down the hallways and stairs in the hotel for some exercise. The staff there must have thought we looked quite ridiculous. But at this point the local establishments and the hotel staff must be used to large groups of women (there are only three men in the group) coming to get massages, hair washes, food, etc. and not being able to communicate except with gestures and a few choice phrases. I think someone actually coined the phrase "Spanchinglish" to describe what we now all speak. That might be considered offensive. Maybe Chispanglish is better.

It is customary that students give you gifts here, so I have received a lot of nice gifts from my students - fans, silks, wall hangings - however, I will have to decide what goes and what stays in the hotel or buy another suitcase because I don't have enough room. I was one of about three people who packed very light. It will be interesting to see how much in overage charges we end up paying as a group.

My thoughts reflect my mind at the moment. As things wrap up, I am kind of here and there and not really anywhere at any time in particular. I am guessing this may be one of my last posts until we reach Beijing. The next two days will certainly be busy and then we may or may not have access in Xi'an. I miss friends and family and am certainly looking forward to seeing them in a little over a week.

Ciao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home