Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Old System

Yesterday we had a "staff" meeting. Our coordinator had met with our Chinese teachers to hear their concerns about what and how we were teaching. Some of their concerns included our not playing enough games with them, not singing enough songs, making input more comprehensible, and wanting more about American life.

In response to some of the concerns (this is where I get to complain), I didn't come here to play games. Sorry. Not part of my teaching style and I don't feel that is a worthwhile activity for a two week intensive English program. Sure, we have academic trivia games, but I am not going to teach them to play card games or Monopoly during class. I continue to teach academic content using a lot of the GLAD strategies. (See: www.projectglad.com for more info) The goals of the program here were never clearly articulated, so until they are, I do what I know best. We have learned two content-related songs already. I figured that didn't complaint didn't apply to me.

As a result of this meeting, we were given the go-ahead to "rat" on the Chinese teachers. Apparently, when they don't like what we are doing, they go directly to their supervisor to "tell on us." Its the old communist system where everybody tells on everyone else. So, when several teachers said that their Chinese teachers left the room during class time, we were told we could write down their names and they would be reprimanded. It was all kind of amusing. In the end, as one person said, "None of it really matters anyway." After 12 odd days of teaching, one can only expect so much.

The behavior issues are probably the most challenging. Any stereotypes about Chinese children you may have had, you can toss them out the window. The students in my class are only partially respectful, but I am one of the lucky ones. My rewards system and signals seem to do the trick, but there is really no way you can discipline the students. If they chose not to listen or do what is asked of them, you can pretty much expect a battle will ensue. There are no parents to call home or consequences. My way of giving the students choices has been effective, but that is much more difficult at the lower grades (I am teaching 4/5, now, remember - a blessing in disguise,) where they have limited language. It will certainly help anyone who wants to participate in this program to know that you need to be prepared to establish some rules and discipline, because it doesn't exist. The students are not always respectful of their teacher, or their classmates and they are extremely loud. It is honestly the loudest student population I have ever worked with. All of these things probably have a lot to do with status. It seems there is a recurring theme all over the world - that sense of entitlement. The students here are not too far behind their American counterparts in that respect. Not at all what I expected.

It seems the rain has begun and I seriously hope we don't get trapped at school due to flooding. My friends in Puerto Vallarta probably have it worse, but it dumped all night and pretty much all day. That won't stop us from going to the shopping center tonight. I have been going to be really early because I got my typical travel cold and have been trying to fight it. Today, after a bowl of hot and sour soup last night (pronounced: swan la tongue,) I feel a lot better and am ready to go shop again.

A day and a half more of teaching until our rest day. We will have taught seven days straight by Friday. Then we teach Sunday to Thursday and have a final performance on Friday. After that, its off to Xian and Beijing. Ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home