Saturday, July 22, 2006

Pampering
















I was told it sounded like I wasn't having much fun based on my blog postings. Well, that isn't at all true. This is by far one of the most interesting experiences traveling I have had. First, because of its ease - everything is done for you. Which is both enjoyable and taxing at times because we move, move, move on our tour days. The students are wonderful and like students anywhere, are eager to learn and know about where you come from and what you like to do. The people are extremely accomodating and friendly. Apart from the stares and pointing and the desire to have a picture taken here and there with some random person, they are never rude and typically very friendly. They are also very eager to share and want us to know what a rich culture and history China has - which is certainly without a doubt. I think it would be very difficult to travel here without more of the language. Often, our hosts will write down places to go for us to give to taxis. I suppose I haven't really had a chance to sit down and write this stuff because I have been focusing on what is different.

It was pointed out to me that "students are students." Our stereotypes of the quiet students are probably based on the same reasons that students who are second language learrners in our own classrooms are often quiet. When placed in a group of peers or with someone who speaks their language, of course they are going to be more energetic and talkative because of their comfort level.

Yesterday we visited the Masoleum of Dr. Sun Yat Sen at Purple Mountain. It was breathtaking. You climb 392 steps to the top - 1 step for each of the 392 million people who were living in China at the time of its construction. There are several platforms in between each series of steps with grand gray stone buildings and bright blue tile roofs. When you get to the top, you see Dr. Sun Yat Sen's tomb. Everyone circles around, cramming through one door and out the same to get a glimpse of the father of democratic China's tomb.

After the masoleum we went to a tomb of the Ming dynasty, the last remaining structure of their rule, and to a pagoda that lay beyond it. The pagoda was seven stories tall and had a spiral staircase all the way up. But the view form the top was beautiful. Our lunch following was dim sum. Many people didn't enjoy it, but there were some great little dishes. As usual, there were things I didn't like. The sausage stuffed snail shell made me a little wary. The vegetable steamed bun was delicious. In the morning they have what I like to call little balls of sticky sweet dough. They have seasame seeds and are crispy on the outside and the inside is the soft doughy substance - which I forget the name of. Overall, I have enjoyed the food, but miss raw vegetables. I could go for some crunchy carrots...mmm, carrots.

We returned to the shopping district where we took the boat ride a previous night. (I think I forgot to post about that... We went down to the Confucious temple and temple area and went into the temple and then took a boat ride down the river. Every year they have a lantern festival, but year round you can see lanterns and the whole area is lit up with different animals shapes. I'll post pictures someday.) It was time to shop again! At this point many of the stores are beginning to look the same. I wandered around with three other people from the group - it is a pretty amazing group of teachers, by the way - and we went from alleyway to alleyway, from store to store. You really can only look at so many silks, pieces of jade/fake jade, cut paper art, tea sets, fans, stamps and what not before it all just sort of blends together. Plus, I am not much of a shopper. In Shanghai, I bought a gorgeous silk wrap and I have yet to see anything like it again. It made me wish I had bought two. I am waiting untill Xian and Beijing to blow the rest of my wad because I have yet to see anything unique after this many days here. Fortunately, the group I was with was more into the wandering/exploring part than the buying, and, of course,a mandatory cold beer stop.

I have to speak to my hair washing experience. I cannot believe that no one has come to the states with this concept and made a lot of money. You walk into a salon where about ten or so staff are milling around. At the time, there wasn't another client in the salon. I motioned that I wanted a hair wash and they babbled a bunch of stuff in Chinese. I pretended to understand and motioned some more. (At this point, I can ask how much, say its too expensive or I want or don't want, and order white rice and sauteed eggplant or hot and sour soup.) I was draped with a robe (a la salon style) and instructed to sit in the chair. She then placed shampoo on my scalp and squirted it with water. In a circular motion and while massaging my scalp and head, she lathered my hair. The massage and lathering lasted about 20 minutes. Then they take you over to rinse, condition and rinse again - massaging all the while. You return to the chair and they massage your head some more, then your temples, then your neck, your back, your shoulders, arms, fingers...this lasts another 20 odd minutes. It was pure lujo. Oh and it costs about a $2.50. (That was with a tip.) I think tomorrow I will get the $8 massage that was rated by another group member as one of top two or three massages she's had in her life. (A trusted source on the matter.) Quite an endorsement.

It is a little difficult to relay all my experiences here, and, in part, because of the pace we keep I haven't fully processed everything. A lot of what I write is in a paper journal and then I turn some of that into postings. When I get home I will be updating with pictures and historical info, but for now its just raw experience. So stay tuned. Rest assured, this has been a fabulous experience and, with words of wisdom and some guidelines, I would recommend it to many. Hopefully, everyone can pool their advice and I can post it for any future participants. There are certainly things I think we all wish we had known before embarking, mostly to have packed better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home