Sunday, April 12, 2009

Community Sponsored Agriculture

There is no sense keeping a blog if you don't post to it. People stop reading. If people read to begin with anyway. Not much of interest to report these days. Life continues at the same pace and in the same way. Exercise has been put aside as I seemed to be plagued with cold after allergies, after cough, after general malaise. Last week I started the Community Sponsored Agriculture. I had been meaning to try this awhile ago, but when its just one person, that's pretty silly. So I convinced a very meat-eating JE that we should try it. It actually didn't take much convincing because he likes vegetables a lot too. So far we've had whole roasted chicken with parsnips, turnips and baby carrots. Friday night was sauteed turnips and parsnips with a salad. The salad dressing was a mustard dill vinaigrette. It was a very tasty salad. Last night we had roast pork chops with bacon and greens. For desert I had strawberries and cream. JE's not a desert man. Weird. This morning for breakfast we had orach, marjoram, bacon and cheddar omelet. Best omelet I've had in a long time.

So, due to my illness of the last three weeks, I had to blow off the Pescadero Artichoke Half Marathon. That was disappointing, but there will be more. Today's activities include finding stores that will be open so I can get stuff for my planter boxes. Of the seven tomato plants I received from BT's bountiful seedlings, four will go in the ground, two did not survive and one I gave as a gift to a colleague who just lost her mother. I also have two pepper plants from the Master Gardener's pepper sale last weekend. About five of the 2 dozen beet seeds I planted sprouted, so I am hoping those will make it. In addition to planting, there is much yard clean up to do. I hear the boys down below loading stuff into the wheel barrels and guess I shouldn't hide for too much longer. Plus, if I help its the only way I get to spend time with the workaholic JE, who has worked 6 days for the last month and then does work in the yard on Sunday. Feeling neglected, who me?? Maybe just a little bit, but he knows it. Its good that he's working so hard and he certainly needs to save up the money in case work dries up, but its hard not to feel a little selfish and want to go play. I've worked hard all my life to be able to enjoy weekends and vacations, but that's not the way it works for now. Its actually kind of fun to do yard work and planting together, so I shouldn't complain. Hey, I could be with a guy who wants to sit in front of the TV and drink been all day and watch sports or play video games, so I'm pretty thankful that's not who he is.

1 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Biting Tongue said...

Pork chops with bacon look delicious.

We have more tomatoes if you need replacements.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home